Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nice Weekend w/pics

This past weekend was really nice. My in-laws came from Dallas. I haven't seen them since February. They went to Isreal in March and brought us back some beautiful gifts!!!

Emil and Lena wearing the scarves from Isreal...

My mom playing with Lena's scarf. CC got a blue one. It's so pretty.

Both moms asleep. And part of Charlie too!

Now they are awake!

This is an Isreali melon. Oh my goodnes!!! It was beyond good. I have NEVER had a melon like this before. It was similar to a cantalope but much sweeter and dripping with juices!

We each were given either a necklace or a keychain with a semi-precious stone and our zodiak stone on it. I'm not sure which sign this is but the stone it's on is really pretty. The blue heart-shaped stone is actually believed to ward off the evil eye. You will see this put on the clothes of a baby when it is in a group of people. You can also put them on the right side of your door so that no evil wished or intentions can enter your house.
My mother-in-law brought me these from the Dead Sea. One is a mud that you should rub over your entire body before bathing and the other is a sea salt. I can't wait to try them out!
These are so very neat! They are color pencils (I think thats what they are calling them now.... when I was in school they were called map pencils.) They are made out of actual wood... bark. It's the neatest thing. The writing in the etched out part is Hebrew. They are just beautiful and truly pieces of art. I wish I could have gotten a better pic. I will keep trying and repost the pic.

These are just a few of the T-shirts they brought back. The girls each got two t-shirts and Emil got a really cute Hard Rock Cafe Jersulem t-shirt.

It was so nice to hear their stories and look at the pictures! What an amazing place to be able to visit. So rich with history! Just amazing!
Emil is doing much better. We went back to the ER Sunday night. They did a CAT Scan and x-rays. They diagnosed him with a bacterial infection and prescribed him some antibiotics. Hmmmm..... who diagnosed him with that MANY days before the doc??? AND.... who said he needed antibiotics after his FIRST ER visit when he was only given meds to relieve the cramping and vomitting??? Ummhmmm... me!
The girls are both home schooled now. When Lenas school called me Monday at work to ask if she was coming back and I told them no I almost had a panic attack! I know deep down that I am doing the right thing but it's also such a BIG change that one has to be a bit nervous. As a parent you only want what is best for your child and education is definately at the top of that list. Do I think I can teach BETTER than those teachers? No. Do I think I can give my children a more personalized learning plan? More one-on-one attention? More help if they are struggling in a particular area? YES!!! Am I thankful that they will not be around bad influences and picking up bad habits from peers who are lacking in the morals department? YES!!! Do these things make me feel more confident about my choice to homeschool? You bet it does!! I like that they can learn at their own pace and we can explore topics in depth if need be. I like that they dont have to wake up so super early and can get going at their own pace and not dragging to the bus stop before the sun comes up. I like that we can do hands on experiments tapered to our life that will help them remember and LEARN.. not just memorize! I like that I am teaching them to LEARN and not to just PASS TESTS!
On another note I am sick of this record breaking heat here in Texas! I don't even bother looking at the weather anymore because I KNOW what it will be.... high of 100 or high of 104.... I NEVER thought I would see the day when I would get EXCITED about a day where the high is 94!!! Imagine that! The heat makes you do crazy things!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment