Tuesday, August 2, 2011

simple summer salads

We had taken some steak out and I wanted to pair it with something not too heavy yesterday. I decided to raid my pantry and use what I had. I found a can of corn, three cans of beets and went from there.
First up....

Crab Salad


1 can corn, drained

1 pkg crab meat, chopped

1/2 onion, diced

mayo, salt & pepper


First chop the crab meat into small pieces.

Add 1/2 - 3/4 of a white onion.

Next is a can of drained corn and a couple of large spoonfuls of mayo.

Add salt and pepper to taste and mix together. It tastes best chilled.


I usually always have beets on hand. Lots of Russian salads use beets, which is why I always have some cans left over.

Simple Beet Salad


3 cans drained beets, diced

Mayo

Garlic powder

Salt and pepper

pine nuts, optional


I shredded the first two cans and it made the beets too watery, so I diced the last can. THEN I remembered it was supposed to be diced in the first place!


All you need to add next is garlic powder and mayo. I like to use lite mayo but Emil swears he can taste the difference, so I used regular mayo for these salads.





Again, just a couple large spoonfuls of mayo is enough.


It is super good, and one of my husbands favorites.


My mother in law adds nuts, but I didn't have any (I did, but they were going in the cookies I baked today!).


I prefer the crab salad. It's so good, especially paired with crackers. CC and Emil like the beet salad and Lena wouldn't try either one because she hates mayo!


0 comments:

Post a Comment