Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Crock Pot Stuffed Cabage Rolls

I love to make easy dinners in my slow cooker/crock pot. I tried out a new recipe for Stuffed Cabage Rolls but also did a few stuffed bell peppers in a regular pot. Both are so good topped with sour creme.....
I was supposed to use two cans of tomato sauce for the sauce but I only had two cans of stewed tomatoes. They worked just fine! I also added some fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar and ten shakes of Worcestershire sauce.
I was supposed to chop a whole onion but only had about 3/4 cup so I just added dried onion flakes to the meat. I also add one egg slightly beaten, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 tsp each dried basil, parsley and oregano. I needed two small cans of chopped mushrooms and didn't have any canned so I used 1/2 a carton of fresh. It was sooooo good!

I added my two pounds of browned ground beef and two cups of cooked rice to the spice mixture.
I was originally supposed to make 14 stuffed cabbage leaves but I ended up only getting 11 good leaves and the rest of the mixture I put in 6 large bell peppers. I made the same sauce mixture for these, spooned some on top and poured the rest on the bottom.
In the slow cooker I poured the tomato sauce mixture on top of my rolled cabbage leaves and let it cook on high for an hour and then turned it to low for 4 hours. Browning the meat helped speed up cooking time.
I cannot tell you how good the house smelled. We had to do deliveries and it was sooooo hard to not eat first. We came home with hungry tummies!
The stuffed cabbage is very similar to the Russian dish galubtsi. So we topped ours with sour cream just like you would galubtsi. It was beyond delicious!


I am linking this up today to Kelly's Korner Crockpotalooza!
This is also the last week to enter my giveaway here- perfect for families with school-age kids!!


2 comments:

Candis Berge

How nice of you to post a comment on my blog, so I thought I'd return the favor. It's always fun to see a comment! The Mississippi roast is not my recipe but I sure would recommend it; tons of flavor. Smells divine cooking too! Your recipes look good; you are busy with college and homeschooling, aren't you? wow. Good for you. And I can't imagine those hot temperatures for sooo many days in a row! You might need to visit Minnesota for some fresh air! Have a blessed day!

Christy

Thanks for your sweet comment! Yes, I highly recommend the creamy Italian Chicken!

Your recipe looks delicious!! Can't wait to try it - seems like a perfect Fall meal!

Post a Comment