Sunday, January 5, 2014

BIRCHBOX PRODUCT REVIEW

I have fallen so very fall behind on my product reviews.
I am taking a few minutes today to review some of my favorite Birchbox products over the last few months.
*****************
Birchbox is truly a monthly sample subscription. I don't expect to receive sample items that exceed my $10 monthly subscription rate. However, Birchbox has introduced me to so many new brands and items that I otherwise would have never heard about. Lots of the items are now my new "must-haves" and I think THAT is the purpose of the Birchbox sample subscription!
******************
One item I received that I was extremely excited to try was this hair accessory to do a half-up hair bun. It's the SARAHPOTEMPA The HALF-UP.
I am always trying to do my hair new ways and get it out of my face while growing my bangs out. This is amazing! I love it!
Due to a procedure I had done on my next in October I have a constant under the skin sunburn like sensation that makes my neck/shoulder area so sensitive that even my hair brushing against my shoulder hurts like...well, it hurts really, really bad.
With this half-up tool I can put my hair in a low bun. It's gets the hair off my shoulder/neck area and it looks done, like I actually spent time on it.
The best part, it's only $9.00 and when you take your hair out you have a little curl!

Next up is the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel for sensitive skin.
......Oh...My...Goodness....
This is one of those new "must-haves".
I absolutely love the smell. It's subtle and soft, not at all overwhelming.
But the look and feel of my skin after using it...
unbelievable.
I have never seen anything like it. My skin is so soft, not tight and dry.
My skin almost looks illuminated, so fresh and clean.
I cannot live with out this product.
It is a bit pricier that what I would normally use on my skin, but the benefits and results of it far outweigh the price. And I can use points I've earned at Birchbox to apply towards the cost! 
I really loved this Ruffian Nail Lacquer. I first noticed the nice, wide brush by which to apply the polish. It gives ample coverage and goes on very smoothly, no bubbles or wrinkles. I love that the color looks almost like a gel once on and it stays looking fresh with out dulling. It did chip on me after a couple of days, so I had to retouch. Had this polish lasted just a bit longer with out chipping it would be absolutely perfect! 

Oh, the Chella Highlighter Pencil....my, my, my....
I have never used a highlighter in the past but have always wanted to try it.
This pencil alone is $18.00 (and has free shipping right now)
, so receiving it in my box exceeded the cost of the monthly subscription.
I love this pencil. It applies very silky and smooth and blends perfectly. I love how it highlights the areas of my face by which I use it. I can't compare it to other highlighters since I've never used any, but I can tell you this is a pencil I plan to continue purchasing from Birchbox as long as they sell it. I love it. It's another of my "must-haves".  
I received a very generous sample of Leirac Paris Sensorielle Oil. This is a brand I had no prior knowledge of and a product I would never generally purchase for myself. However, after using this I fell in love. The floral smell is subtle and feminine. Just enough lingers behind to leave a lasting impression. You can apply this oil to your face or skin or even in your hair. I usually apply a small amount to my hands and rub it through out my hair then rub what ever remains into my hands.
My husband gave me a hug and complemented me on how great my hair smelled. It's that kind of product. Just enough to be remember, not overpowering at all. I love it.
Again, the price is a bit steep, $40 for 3.4 fl oz. but I plan to use my Birchbox credits to buy the full size. I can see that it will last for at least six months, if not longer!

Another product that I fell in love with and possibly one of my most favorite samples I ever received was the Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo Shimmer Lotion. Right now it's $29 on Birchbox with free shipping. When I initially saw it I thought it was another pink nail polish. I wasn't thrilled. Then I saw that it's actually a shimmer lotion. I apply it to my cheeks and under my eyes as a highlighter. It has a soft pink hue and leaves your skin looking supple and dewy. I love it! 
I am not in any way, shape or form a chocolate fan. I will be the first to tell you I hate chocolate. I don't like chocolate cookies, I despise chocolate cake and ice cream. Chocolate bars are not at the top of my list. In fact, when I'm wanting to bake something sweet I make chocolate because I know I won't eat it! So when I saw this Ghiradelli Mint Chocolate bar in my box I was almost kind of mad. I thought it was a loss of product to send me a chocolate bar when it could have been replaced by a hair or make up product I could actually use and enjoy.
Birchbox had it right.
The Mint Chocolate was just right.
It hit the spot. It was creamy and smooth and delicious.
I shared with my girls, not because I wanted to but because it was the right thing to do.
I have since been on the lookout for the Ghirardelli Mint Chocolate in my local stores and have yet to find it. It figures...the first chocolate I actually like and I can't even buy it! 
I had been hearing raves and raves about how wonderful this perfume is. I was skeptical. I really only wear a select few...any perfume from Givenchy, some Chanel, some Mark Jacobs and my Thierry Mugler Angel. However, I do like receiving perfume samples because I know I need to branch out. I have seasonal perfumes and really don't stray from what I know.
When I received a sample of the Folle de Joie eau de parfume I was a little anxious to see what the hype was all about. Let me say.... the hype is right! I love the smell of this perfume. I can easily see it becoming one of my spring/summer staples. It has such a soft, floral, feminine, light, delicate smell. It is the way a woman should smell...in my opinion. It makes me want to throw on a summer dress and sandals. I love it! Now, the price is not cheap..it's $98.00 for 3.4 fl oz, but again, it is worth it. When I treat myself to a spring/summer perfume with my bonus check at work, I will be purchasing this. It's heavenly! 
I also received a cute tan, plaid twistband. I had been seeing several people post on Birchbox's Facebook page and the product page how much they loved their twistbands. I was a little jealous that I never received one. So when I had one in my December box I was ecstatic. It provides a good, solid hold. It's super cute and can be used as a bracelet as well. I don't think someone with a lot of thick hair could run a marathon or do a Zumba workout with a twistband, but they will certainly hold up for around the house work or running errands. I can't wait to buy a new pack. I wish they had maroon and white Texas A&M colors. Now THAT would be awesome!
I really plan to do, or at least, attempt to do, a product review each month of the items received in my Birchbox and my Ipsy bag. Again, with the Birchbox I don't go in with the expectation that I am going to receive items that will exceed my monthly subscription rate. Some months I do, other months I don't even come close. But every month I receive items that are new to me and are fun trying out. And that makes it worth it. It's like a little present in the mail each month. And if there is a product that I don't use, then my girls surely take it over. In fact, I usually get what they don't want!
If you haven't signed up for Birchbox, click here to get started!
 
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment